Fettuccine Sun-dried Tomatoes, Feta, Jalapeños and Olives
Fettuccine with sun-dried tomatoes, feta, jalapeños and olives is a quick and easy mix of ready-to-eat foods combining sweet Italian flavours with the unexpected heat of jalapeños.
Years ago I had a boyfriend who liked to have a movie night every Tuesday. My go to Italian restaurant nearby served a dish similar to this. It was simply known as Angelina’s Pasta. The restaurant closed, but whoever Angelina was, this is in memory of you!
I usually keep a stash of my favourite pestos and have substituted sun-dried tomatoes with a 125g pack of Ina Paarman’s Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto. Her pestos, especially her basil pesto, are the best store bought I have tasted. I wasn’t going to mention the name until I recently read that her products are now exported to 32 countries, so off you go if you haven’t tried them already!
I don’t buy any particular feta cheese – usually the cheapest or something on special, so I found that the feta I used this time was fairly hard and didn’t break down into the desired creaminess after heating. Maybe it would have if I’d added it earlier and cooked it for longer, but I didn’t want it to disappear. In hindsight, I should have just broken the pieces into crumbs and it would have mixed in more.
As with most pasta sauces, you can use any pasta, but I usually choose fettuccine. Depending on who’s coming to dinner, I’ll sometimes use penne for its easy ability to be eaten with a knife and fork!
Preparation time takes about as long as it takes to cook the pasta.
Fettuccine with sun-dried tomatoes, feta, jalapeños and olives
- 225 g dry fettuccine or any other pasta (8 oz)
- 45 g extra virgin olive oil (3 tbsp)
- 3 finely chopped cloves fresh garlic
- 20 small sun-dried tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil
- 225 g feta cheese (8 oz)
- 10 slices pickled jalapeños (chop smaller if preferred)
- 16 pitted olives (black or calamata)
- freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Cook the pasta according to its instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking heat all the ingredients in a pan except the feta cheese.
- Simmer the ingredients for about 5 minutes adding the feta in the last minute.I find this sauce works best stirred into the pasta before serving, rather than simply placing it on top of the pasta.